Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2230 m.2 slots
Hello. Subject to follow (I am from France) I took the 64go I told myself given the situation and the component problems that the 3 versions will be identical. Do you think the steam deck version 64 uses the pcie port via an adapter with emmc chip? So not fixed to the motherboard.
It is confirmed it is eMMC via m.2 slot. Should be replaceable, though WILL void your warranty
Though the first may the rest follow.
or something else banal like that to fill space on a obscure side-group of a semi-obscure discord server based on valves GabeGear
I have a website, broken-moon.net
Hi. Thank you so I will wait for the first Disassembly by December to see if it's easy or not or and the replacement level. With the cooling system or others. For the guarantee yes indeed, a pity that there is no opening for direct replacement.
(19-07-2021, 06:28 AM)GabeN Wrote: If it really is just a matter of small vs big form factors, I wonder if it would be possible to use an M.2 riser/extension ribbon to then use a full-fat 2280 which has higher market availability and lower overall prices as a result.
Of course using a larger form-factor M.2 NVMe SSD would require extra space to accommodate it, I'm sure someone will eventually put together a custom outer shell for the Steam Deck; we'll see what happens.

That's a really interesting idea, and one would only need a little bit of spare space inside the Deck to route the cable.
You'd need a custom or altered back shell, assuming that's what one takes off to access the internals. Which would be somewhat of a pain to deal with due to the grip buttons on the back, however it would certainly be cheaper.

In Australia right now the price of a 512GB m.2 2280 2000Mbps sequential SSD is $80, while a 2230 1400Mbps sequential is like $250. Even accounting for a drop in 2230 SSD prices due to the steam deck, that would leave around $100 for the riser and back-plate/case, and even more if one wants a 1TB SSD.
Aussie.
Looking at replacing SSD, otherwise has done a bunch of SD card research.
Quad-boot with SteamOS, Windows, Android, and FreeBSD.
(21-07-2021, 10:35 PM)Schildmadchen Wrote:
(19-07-2021, 06:28 AM)GabeN Wrote: If it really is just a matter of small vs big form factors, I wonder if it would be possible to use an M.2 riser/extension ribbon to then use a full-fat 2280 which has higher market availability and lower overall prices as a result.
Of course using a larger form-factor M.2 NVMe SSD would require extra space to accommodate it, I'm sure someone will eventually put together a custom outer shell for the Steam Deck; we'll see what happens.

That's a really interesting idea, and one would only need a little bit of spare space inside the Deck to route the cable.
You'd need a custom or altered back shell, assuming that's what one takes off to access the internals. Which would be somewhat of a pain to deal with due to the grip buttons on the back, however it would certainly be cheaper.

In Australia right now the price of a 512GB m.2 2280 2000Mbps sequential SSD is $80, while a 2230 1400Mbps sequential is like $250. Even accounting for a drop in 2230 SSD prices due to the steam deck, that would leave around $100 for the riser and back-plate/case, and even more if one wants a 1TB SSD.

Here the 1t 2230 it's for 230 € or the steam deck 64 and ssd = 650 € it remains a good choice. In my opinion given the choice of the 2230 it lacks space, the idea of the back shell for housing a ssd other format remains a good idea if the cable pcie passes
(21-07-2021, 10:35 PM)Schildmadchen Wrote:

I guess it will depend on the cooling solution Valve have opted for with the device, and if that will prohibit the use of an M.2 extension cable.
Hopefully we'll see a reviewer have an exclusive preview of the device and an in-depth teardown, then we can see what's viable.

I have my place in the queue for Q2 2022; if anyone hasn't done an accurate CAD model of the handheld by then, I'll try my hand at putting one together so the community can mess around with mod ideas in a practical form.
https://youtu.be/Dxnr2FAADAs

Steam deck open and m2 slot... Easy