Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2230 m.2 slots
It's been confirmed by Gaben via e-mail that all editions of the console will have a 2230 m.2 slot, meaning that technically, updating storage should be trivial.

Thoughts?
it's pretty cool, it's also on the website now if anyone hadn't noticed. the main issue is going to be how easy it is to get inside one of these things
hot glue time bby
Never use hot glue, the obvious solution is electrical tape Wink
Though the first may the rest follow.
or something else banal like that to fill space on a obscure side-group of a semi-obscure discord server based on valves GabeGear
I have a website, broken-moon.net
(16-07-2021, 08:58 PM)ilyt Wrote: it's pretty cool, it's also on the website now if anyone hadn't noticed. the main issue is going to be how easy it is to get inside one of these things

I'm pretty confident they're not going to intentionally making opening them difficult. Void warranty maybe, difficult no. It doesn't seem to be the approach they're taking.
[Image: nYWzQxa.png]
(16-07-2021, 10:38 PM)thepwrtank18 Wrote: https://i.imgur.com/nYWzQxa.png (images should be supported on the forum)

They are!

[Image: nYWzQxa.png]

Use [img] tags
(16-07-2021, 09:56 PM)Orelio Wrote:
(16-07-2021, 08:58 PM)ilyt Wrote: it's pretty cool, it's also on the website now if anyone hadn't noticed. the main issue is going to be how easy it is to get inside one of these things

I'm pretty confident they're not going to intentionally making opening them difficult. Void warranty maybe, difficult no. It doesn't seem to be the approach they're taking.

Warranty is 100% gonna be voided, but a m.2 slot is a m.2 slot. Assuming you don’t need to break anything to get to it, a “socketed m.2 slot” means normal replacement of the drive, which is fantastic news in itself even if only Valve could do it (for drive failures not compromising longevity, for example). Now if only the battery was replaceable as well…
(17-07-2021, 02:55 AM)nicolapcweek94 Wrote:
(16-07-2021, 09:56 PM)Orelio Wrote:

Warranty is 100% gonna be voided, but a m.2 slot is a m.2 slot. Assuming you don’t need to break anything to get to it, a “socketed m.2 slot” means normal replacement of the drive, which is fantastic news in itself even if only Valve could do it (for drive failures not compromising longevity, for example). Now if only the battery was replaceable as well…

Has anyone tried e-mailing Valve about battery?
I think the 'Not intended for end-user replacement' statement may relate to the internal design and more importantly the NVMe SSD and CPU cooling solution. It might be genuinely difficult to replace/upgrade, probably not by intentional design but just necessity.
I wonder if Valve's choice in NVMe SSD form factor (2230) was strictly based on size with limited space?
If it really is just a matter of small vs big form factors, I wonder if it would be possible to use an M.2 riser/extension ribbon to then use a full-fat 2280 which has higher market availability and lower overall prices as a result.
Of course using a larger form-factor M.2 NVMe SSD would require extra space to accommodate it, I'm sure someone will eventually put together a custom outer shell for the Steam Deck; we'll see what happens.